The Mechanical Engineering Communication Lab will open for appointments in June 2018.
MIT undergraduate students, graduate students, and postdocs affiliated with Mechanical Engineering will be welcome to make an appointment with the Communication Lab. We’ll support your communication work by having conversations with you about high-level principles like audience, structure, and message, rather than focusing on line-editing or grammar. We are particularly strong at brainstorming and outlining, and encourage you to include the lab in your process as early as you can so that you get the most out of the experience.
Communication Lab Policies
Who can use the Mechanical Engineering Communication Lab?
- The Mechanical Engineering Communication Lab’s services are free and available to anyone who is in the Mechanical Engineering Department, affiliated with a Department lab, or taking a Department class. If you are not sure whether you are eligible, please contact the Communication Lab Manager to inquire.
- If you are not in Mechanical Engineering, check whether your Course has a Communication Lab available here.
How do Communication Lab sessions work?
- Coaching sessions are kept confidential. Fellows do not share information about client relationships and work.
- Sessions can be no longer than 60 minutes.
- All coaching sessions must take place in public locations such as the Communication Lab, a café, or the library.
- If a client misses three appointments, s/he will not be able to take advantage of the Communication Lab during the following four months.
What can and can’t I expect Communication Fellows to do?
- Fellows will have conversations with clients about their work. Fellows may use video chat, phone, or other media options to have such conversations.
- Fellows do not provide written feedback.
- Fellows are not obligated to read client documents or otherwise prepare before sessions. If you plan to work on a longer document in one session, think in advance about which specific sections or elements would be most helpful for you to focus on during your session.
- Fellows are not available for private hiring or contract work, and will not accept gifts from clients.
- Fellows do not replace TAs, course instructors, or S3 counselors.