Apply to BE a Communication Fellow
Deadline extended: we are now accepting applications on a rolling basis through February 20, 2024.
Comm Lab application season is back again, and this year the BE Communication Lab anticipates several openings to join the team.
|Application: complete this Google form to apply (preview the pdf version here)
Questions? see below for more information or email the BE Comm Lab Manager
The Communication Lab is a program that is for engineers, by engineers.
We offer writing, speaking, and visual design support for BE undergraduate students, graduate students, and postdocs. Our Communication Fellows are trained graduate students and postdocs from the department, so they are content experts as well as communication coaches. The Communication Fellowship is a unique opportunity to innovate in the science communication space, contribute to your community, and improve your communication, mentoring, and leadership skills.
About the Communication Fellowship:
- Fellows will coach peers, develop workshops, and create innovative initiatives to meet the communication needs of the department.
- Fellows receive hands-on training throughout the first year on topics such as scientific papers, figure design, and job applications. Trainings also emphasize best practices in feedback, coaching, and mentorship.
- Fellows typically contribute 3-5hrs/week toward Comm Lab activities, and have the opportunity of earning up to $3,000/year.
- Both domestic and international graduate students are eligible for the Communication Fellowship.
- Graduate Fellows will also be enrolled in the graduate Communication Fellow course, which aims to support and deepen your experience as a Fellow by adding structure and opportunities for reflection.
- Postdoctoral associates and postdoctoral fellows may be eligible for the Communication Fellowship—speak to your sponsoring department about eligibility.
Applications remain open until 11:59pm EST on Tuesday February 13, 2024 and can be submitted online here. Applications will be reviewed by Dr. Chiara Ricci-Tam, BE Comm Lab Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org), and will not be shared with external groups.
- Jan 16, 2024 – applications open
Feb 13, 2024 – applications due by 11:59pm EST
- Feb 20, 2024 – applications accepted on a rolling basis by 11:59pm EST
- Feb 14-23, 2024 – candidates invited to interview
- Feb 26, 2024 – candidates notified of final acceptance decision
Since the Communication Lab was launched in 2013, BE Fellows have hosted ~4700 coaching sessions totaling ~3700 hours of individualized support to over 1200 clients! The full program has grown to support Aeronautics and Astronautics, Chemical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Nuclear Science and Engineering, and the Broad Institute.