The Fellows – who come from varying scientific disciplines and areas of expertise – offer constructive feedback and 1:1 coaching (rather than editing), providing scientists with the opportunity to work closely with peers, and to receive direct, relevant and constructive feedback. In doing so, the Fellows do not simply correct clients’ work – they teach skills and ideas that their clients can incorporate into future written, visual, or oral forms of research communication. Ultimately, the Comm Lab hopes to empower scientists to pursue their work without being mired down by the challenges of scientific communication.
Option 1: Use our online scheduling system
The first time you use the system linked above, you will need to register. You will then be able to see all of the Fellows’ available times and pick one that will work best for you.
Appointments must be made 48 hours in advance.
If none of the Fellows’ times work for you, or you want guidance figuring out which Fellow would be a good match, contact us. Let us know what you’re working on and when it’s due. We’ll help you get the coaching you need to meet your deadline.
Communication Lab Policies
Who can use the Broad Research Communication Lab?
- The Broad Research Communication Lab’s services are free and available to anyone who is affiliated with the Broad Institute. If you are not sure whether you are eligible, please contact the Communication Lab Manager to inquire.
How do Communication Lab sessions work?
- Coaching sessions are kept confidential. Fellows do not share information about client relationships and work.
- Sessions can be no longer than 60 minutes.
- All coaching sessions must take place in public locations such as the Broad, a café, or a library.
- To respect Fellows’ time, please provide at least 24 hours’ notice if you need to cancel a coaching appointment. If notice is provided less than 3 hours in advance, the appointment will be counted as a “missed appointment”.
- If a client misses three appointments without providing notice, their access to Comm Lab appointments will be discontinued.
What can and can’t I expect Communication Fellows to do?
- Fellows will have conversations with clients about their work. Fellows may use video chat, phone, or other media options to have such conversations.
- Fellows do not provide written feedback.
- Fellows are not obligated to read client documents or otherwise prepare before sessions. If you plan to work on a longer document in one session, think in advance about which specific sections or elements would be most helpful for you to focus on during your session.
- Fellows are not available for private hiring or contract work, and will not accept gifts from clients.
- Fellows do not replace TAs or course instructors.
- If you would like to discuss any disability accommodations prior to making a Communication Lab appointment, please contact the Communication Lab manager.