Networking. It’s a word we are constantly hearing in the scope of professional development. But how many times have you heard that word and immediately scoffed at the idea, picturing two people in business attire shaking hands with an over-emphasized smile, exchanging resumes before going their separate ways? There’s an air of superficiality that many people have associated with networking, and it doesn’t have to be this way. In fact, I believe that networking is not only beneficial for finding success in academia or industry but it is also the best way to expand the knowledge and resources available to you.

Each person comes with a wide range of skills, knowledge, and experience… along with their own network. Establishing a connection with them then opens doors that you couldn’t access on your own, and the more people you connect with, the easier it will be to pursue your interests, find mentors and collaborators, and share your work.

Everyone Has a Network

Many people are uncomfortable with networking; some claim they’re simply not “social” or “outgoing” enough. The good news is that everyone has a network. If you’ve ever participated in group projects or extracurricular activities, you have naturally developed your network. In fact, collaborative environments are the easiest ways to strengthen and build new connections because by problem solving together you learn where one person’s experience can fill a gap in your knowledge, and where you can step in to help them in return. These connections can be called upon in the future when you need information from a specific source—and they, too, can call on your expertise when they need to move a project forward. Imagine studying for quals, and having a study group who can educate one another on fields from power plant economics to plasma physics. Through your network, you have access to a breadth of focused areas, even in a niche field, which is not possible without making such valuable connections.

Marinating Your Network

Although a network can be built naturally, it takes a conscious effort to maintain. This is where many people falter, as they let connections fade away or simply forget who is focused on what field. Without maintenance, your “nodes” become harder to access. Organization is fundamental for maintaining a network. It is important to keep track of your connections, and to know what specialty each person provides. Reaching out with occasional questions or discussing common areas of interest are great ways to keep up a continuous dialogue while reinforcing the value in your connection.

Of course, it’s not realistic to keep a list of thousands of people and sending them emails once a week to ensure they don’t drop from your network. Maintaining your network means choosing which nodes you feel are most valuable. It’s okay to let some connections fade, especially if you find yourself heading in a new direction, but it’s helpful to be aware of where your accessible knowledge may now be lacking.

Proactive Networking

On the contrary, if you recognize a gap in your network, it’s important to be proactive and find someone who can bridge that gap. Whether it’s a cold call, or engaging with a guest speaker, it’s helpful to be deliberate about expanding your network when you recognize areas of deficiency. Consider you are preparing to write a paper on accident tolerant fuels, but don’t have anyone who can refer you to past experiments. As unlikely as this may be, how would you use this opportunity to expand your network? There is no wrong answer, but my approach to this situation would be to find one expert with knowledge in the field. I’d reach out to them to discuss their experiences and learn who they have collaborated with. This provides secondary sources who can further expand your knowledge and contribute to your overall network. Proactively expanding your network keeps you refreshed with new information by adding new nodes where a gap is apparent.

My Personal Experience? It works.

I am by no means an expert on networking. I’ve spent hours googling a problem when a colleague could have given me an answer instantly. I’ve let valuable connections fade because I haven’t kept in touch. However, I have still experienced the value of my network many times throughout my research and professional career.

Prior to selecting a degree in Nuclear Science, I considered pursing Naval Architecture and Engineering. It was only after conversations with engineers in the nuclear and naval fields that I decided the former would be a better fit for me. By adding them to my network, their experiences became mine to interpret, and allowed me to make a more informed decision on my career path. Researching each field gave me limited insight, but accessing new nodes in my network gave me information that I would have otherwise had no way of obtaining.

This past summer, I worked an internship at Dominion Engineering Inc. in Virginia. I had no prior relationship with the company, and frankly hadn’t even heard of them before applying. However, after my supervisor put me in touch with them, I researched and found that it would be a great fit for me (which it was!). The internship was a fantastic foray into nuclear-related product development; an experience which would not have been possible had I not reached out to my supervisor expressing interest in a summer internship. Not only did my supervisors’ network open new opportunities to me, but I also used the network of employees within the company to find the division that best suited me.

***

When you think of the word “networking,” don’t revert to the handshake-business picture. Picture the times spent collaborating with other researchers, reaching out to experienced professionals for advice, or whatever connections you have gained value from. Networking is not (or shouldn’t be) a self-serving and manipulative practice, and shouldn’t be fake. It is a mutually beneficial process that binds the scientific community to an expansive wealth of knowledge, in a unified global network.

So, my challenge to you, if you’re willing, is to spend two minutes today reflecting on your own network. Who are the people you go to for ideas or feedback? Are there areas you’re overlooking but would like to invest more time in? Is there someone you haven’t reached out to in a while? When is the last time someone reached out to you for assistance? Use this reflection as an opportunity to appreciate how vast your network is, and the valuable connections you have within it. Your network truly is the sum of all your knowledge, so continue to reflect on it, organize it, and expand it.

Lorne Cohen is now a graduate student in Prof. Koroush Shirvan’s group. He is also an NSE Communication Fellow.

Published September 23, 2022

Related articles and resources: