Each summer, the Communication Lab hosts the Summer Institute, a four-day workshop open to staff and students from any institution. Workshop participants learn how to adapt the Communication Lab model and create innovative communication resources for their own STEM communities.
The 2019 Summer Institute will be July 15-18.
Learn more about the Summer Institute below:
- Summer Institute Overview
- 2019 Full Agenda (PDF download)
- Testimonials from Summer Institute attendees
SUMMER INSTITUTE OVERVIEW
- Faculty, staff, administrators: $3000 for four-day workshop (including breakfast & lunch)
- Students and postdocs: $1500 for four-day workshop (including breakfast & lunch)
- For any questions about registration (such as accommodations for attendance of fewer than four days), please contact program director Diana Chien.
Past Summer Institutes have been attended by representatives from institutions including Boston University, Brandeis University, Caltech, Cornell University, and Northeastern University. Attendees have used the experience to help launch initiatives including a graduate science communication course, a director of science communication position, and their own Communication Labs.
Read about their experiences below:
“The Summer Institute was full of useful, practical advice and examples for starting a Communication Lab. It was very helpful while also providing a supportive atmosphere in which we could ask questions and consider institution-specific solutions. The week was fun and I left with the tools to start building a Comm Lab elsewhere.”
“The Summer Institute was incredibly informative – it was also the perfect combination of content, introspection, and discussion-based forums.”
“I thought it was easily the best workshop as far as structure and engagement I have been to. […] It was extremely educational […] and really addressed the range of experiences and communities of the participants.”